Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Good Words

As most of you already know, I am a big fan of blogs. I love them. I read them pretty much daily. And I'm always up for checking out a new blog that someone (anyone) recommends or links to. Because of this, I've followed an increasing number over the course of the last few years. Several months ago I realized that it was all becoming a bit too much time-wise. I simply couldn't keep up with all of them, and even trying to keep up required more time than I felt comfortable spending. So I drastically cut the list of blogs I check regularly to those you see linked on the side of my page. I still "drop in" on a few others from time to time, but I definitely don't try to read every single post.

Those linked to the left, however, are my current favorites. And most of them have been my favorites for a long time. I deliberately set the Blogger gadget to list when each of these blogs is updated because I look forward to reading them so much, and I love to see a status that lets me know there's a new post ready to read. One of my long-time favorites is called The Flourishing Mother. I'm not sure exactly when I first started following Andrea, but it was definitely several years ago. I thoroughly enjoy all of her thoughts on mothering and life in general (as well as her lists of weekend reads!). She is full of wisdom, and I appreciate her "realness" and transparency, as well as the humble, faithful heart that is clearly evident in her steady and deliberate pursuit of excellence in all she does.

I've always loved how blogs provide a glimpse into others' thoughts and perspectives, and over the course of time I love that I can come to "know" someone I will almost certainly never meet. What a blessing that is - to not be completely limited by geography or time or life stage or even differences in personality in our opportunities to "hear" each other! I have never met Andrea and most likely never will, but I feel as if she is a part of my community in many ways, and I'm grateful for her and her words in my life. Recently Andrea wrote a poem and posted it to her blog, and I've seriously read it over and over and over again. It has been a great encouragement to me, and it seems to sum up so much of what my life is about right now. I'm always thankful for words of hope, and I know many of you are too, so here are Andrea's words from a day back in May**:

Bare empty sticks
become
lush fragrant
in due time.

Things are Always Changing.
The Way I Feel Now
Will not last forever.

God is constantly changing Nature.
But He never does.
He stays the Same.

We do not stay hidden in the tight bulb.
We are let out to bloom
To have new life
To Change
to Become
lush, fragrant
not always
Bare, Empty Sticks.


Amen. Thank you, Andrea! And thank you, God, for your promise to make everything new.

**Reposted with permission.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Stephanie, thank you so much for *your* kind words. I am so blessed that you enjoy my blog and enjoyed my simple poem!!! Thank you! Isn't it wonderful to know He makes all things new...gives me continual hope..